Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ronnie James Dio



My earlier post was a bit off-handed... but I did love Dio. I didn't actually listen to Dio until the mid-80's. The Last in Line was out and I was on a skiing trip with some friends. I was out of tapes to listen to in my knock-off Walkman (Sony was expensive back then...) and a friend had Holy Diver and The Last in Line. I spent the rest of the weekend listening to Dio, even borrowing some Dio-era Sabbath. There was just something about the way he sang. His lyrics were stupid and over-wrought, but he was belting it out about the eyes of the witch or rainbows in the dark, you knew he believed it, even if it was ridiculous.

I loved listening to the man, and his is the only totally random encounter with a celebrity that I have ever had. He was exceedingly generous to an obnoxious 21 year old me. No one had Dio in the pool, which was an oversight... but you'll have to forgive me.... I'm going to go off and listen to some Sabbath.

No comments: